The Green Unknown - Travel in Khasi Hills - Patrick Rogers

I came across this book with an interesting summary. A tourist making his way in the state of Meghalaya all by himself without a proper map or guide. I've never been to the scenic escapade so thought of picking this book to understand the authors perspective of a state in India which is one among the six sisters. Best part I got this book for just Rs. 9 on Kindle.

The authors quest is to see nature's marvel i.e. Living root bridges which is one of its kind and found in the state. I admit I wasn't aware of it. In his quest to see the bridges he had to travel extensively in the hilly area. The book is a narrative of his Rendezvous with nature, with turbulent weather in the state, with different people who barely understand Hindi, with culture of the state, with meals of the place and so many short tales detailing his agony.

Some tales are hillarious while some are scary with author having to go on a trail where he could've lost his life. It also tells various folk stories and beliefs of the people residing there. The narratives are short and crisp, never stretched at any place. Book also has snaps of his adventurous trips, though I wish I could get to see some more. The description makes you fall in love with the state which I am sure to visit in near future.

Overall it's a geographical delight. I would rate this book a 4.5/5.

Comments