Calling Sehmat - Harinder Sikka

When I heard about rave reviews of the movie Raazi, I wanted to watch the movie. I also read in media about the book on which this movie is based "Calling Sehmat", I knew I had to read the book. As told earlier I enjoy reading more than watching movie and prefer reading before watching as the intrinsic details are missed in movies due to time constraints. This time however I saw the movie first which was simply mind blowing with superb depiction of events and brilliant performances.

I found this book on Kindle and just dug myself in it. The book starts with how Sehmats' parents met and got married. It narrates the upbringing of Sehmat and her ideologies. The story also describes her time at College before she decides to take the bold step of becoming a spy for the country. There are lots of differences between what is shown in the movie and what is written in the book (no spoilers here, read it and identify). In fact book describes her many brave deeds which weren't a part of the movie.

The book is a fast paced book with details of her duration at Pakistan and you can only admire Sehmat for her bravery and wits. She does deserve a salute for taking risk and passing on the highly confidential and important information. Also noteworthy are her instincts due to which she managed to escape. Further book showcases her time in India post her return. It goes on the narrate the bombing of Kirpan another submarine which unfortunately could not survive the attack unlike INS Vikrant.

The epilogue leaves you shocked but you get the feeling of completeness. Salute to the brave heart Sehmat (wish we could see what she actually looked like or know her real name) salute to author Harinder Sikka for researching in depth and bringing this masterpiece.

My rating undoubtedly 5/5.

Comments